Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My Sister's Wedding


Yet again I am a delinquent blogger. Facebook has consumed me so updated photos are found there. However, I promised myself to find time to blog about this one as this is particularly close to my heart. My baby sister's wedding cake.

I flew 16 hours to Asia, our hometown Manila, to make this one. Weddings in Asia are quite different from weddings here in the United States. To start, there were 800 guests. Yes, read that right...800. But don't worry, I did not have to feed all 800 guests cake. I needed to enjoy my vacation too, right? Given the number of guests, the wedding coordinator required me to create one that is at least 5 feet tall.   Basically one as tall as me! I've made cakes of such height before back in the early '90s when cake separators and stairs were a big thing but these days, it is rare to see one being used. Aside from the height, the biggest challenge for me was the covering huge cake. Biggest tier had a diameter of 24 inches.  I sure wished I had a sheeter then but it saved me the trouble from going to the gym!

Lace & monogram both hand cut

My sister could not decide on how she wanted her cake. She did like the ruffle and lace cake I've made last year so we did a combination of both, added their monogram and some bling. Each ruffle took me at least 30 minutes to make, and every piece of lace and monogram were hand cut. A lot of work and it was all labor of love.  Seeing my sister happy and loving her cake made it all worth while.

Here are some photos of the beautiful couple, their beautiful cake area (not just a table but an entire area dedicated just for cake) and their cake cutting.


Side view of the beautiful cake table

Cake Cutting. Always my favorite part of a wedding.

A dreamy shot of the cake by their photographer Pat Dy

Best wishes my dear sister Tara! To my now brother-in-law Dennis, welcome to the family and congratulations! Remember these words below from my speech :)

"A wise man, I think it was Confucious...
Awise man and husband once said...
The key to a long, prosperous marriage is repeating those three
special words... "Honey, you're right""


1 comment: